Sunday, January 4, 2009

This Kinda Disgust Me

Photo taken from Time Going Green: http://www.time.com/time/goinggreen

In Mumbai, India: As you can see from the left hand side of the photo above, there was a man using toilet over open water and there are approximately 10+ kids bathing and cooling themselves in the water. The same water the man flushed his waste into, big or small. I personally can't imagine how in the world can the kids endure in that filthy brownish water with foul scent. I certainly didn't even dare to picture how nice of that man to yell "bombs away" while watching the kids play in that 'pool of goodness'.

The world sanitation crisis leaves 2.6 billion people without access to a toilet. Certainly, there will be even more people lacking clean water for consumption. This includes Malaysia. If you don't believe me, buy a decent water filter and backwash it once a week. I have one at home and it gave me at least 3 litres of free Milo every weekend when I backwash it. Trust me.

I have always thought that access to toilet is a necessity and nonetheless, a human right. It seems to me that in the pursuit of reducing global warming and fighting terrorism and saving the economy, we have forgotten something truly important to us, a proper sanitation system for 6.6 billion people and growing.

No comments:

Updates