Tuesday, December 23, 2008

International Petroleum Technology Conference, IPTC

I went to KL Convention Center to attend the IPTC 2008, the International Petroleum Technology Conference. This is the third edition of IPTC and is sponsored by four societies - American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG), European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE), Society of Exploration Geophysicist (SEG) and Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE).

The event was officiated by Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, who is the prime minister of Malaysia. (The reason I elaborated on Pak Lah is that it's so happened that one of my course mates didn't even heard of who is Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak. So, just in case. Poor Najib =p)


The purpose of visiting IPTC 2008 was wanting to know the oil and gas industry better and more precisely, to look for a job in a time where unemployment reaches record-high. The registration fee was astronomical to me. However, as a student, my expenses were paid for.


By the time of the conference, the price of the crude oil has already plummeted from $144 per barrel to around $50 per barrel and the plenary session title was "High Price! High Cost! High Stakes?". It was obvious that the title was no longer accurate. However, I loved the idea of one of the speaker proposed titles: Whatever the price, whatever the cost, the stakes will always be high.


I attended a few other sessions like this one below: "Sustaining Production Rates to Meet Future Demand". OPEC announces production cut as demand drops just a few weeks after the conference. This reminded me of how fast, and how dreadful things are and have been moving.


Nonetheless, while attempting to race to the top 10 in this F1 simulator, I met Datin Seri Jeanne Abdullah.


In the exhibition halls, there was an environmental section. That's where I have met Toyota Prius and Mitsubishi MiEV. It's a sweet thing to see automobile companies like Mitsubishi starting to take on the environmental challenges and push for cleaner energy as a replacement to fossil fuel.


In a nut shell, IPTC has really been an eye opener for me. Besides, I was given a handful of souvenirs and gift bags. Apart from the 4 GB thumbdrive from Saudi Aramco, thumbdrive+chocolate gift bag from Chevron and a big+big gift bag from Total, I was also given a new name.


... and a new identity.



6 comments:

Robb said...

hoi singh!

Aishah AR said...

hahaha
they misheard the Si..n it became Singh..
hahaha edwin, ni sangat lawak ok?

Edwin Si said...

ahaha as a matter of fact..few orang putih looked at my name tag and then looked at my face, then stared into my name tag again.. and then walked away with stars on their heads

do chinese has the surname of 'singh' or is a singh actually look just like a chinese?

thaqifroslim said...

How could such a reputable organizer make tht mistake. It was a simple task, tulis name org je, and they're busy talking about oil crisis? duh...

Edwin Si said...

i was not bothered by the faulty name tag. i didn't confront the registration ppl..

in fact, i love the new name

WaTy said...

hahaha.. singh~ how's ur day? *grins* ey br prasan laa u listed me as waty cerewet? hahaha

Updates